Common features of express bus service include:
- Moderate- to long-distance service, often 10 to 30 miles.
- Very limited stops, often only one or two at the outer ends of the route, as well as limited stops in downtowns.
- Rush-hour-only service; in cases where midday and/or evening service is provided, it is usually limited.
- A primary focus on suburb-to-downtown service, although occasionally service to other markets.
- Service with commuter, or “over the road,” coaches that are the same as those used by intercity bus operators instead of standard transit buses.
- Primary access via automobile, especially for suburban-to-downtown services.